Sunday, July 14 – Saturday, July 20, 2019
Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership
PO Box 1280, Rockland
Adventure Art (July 14th-20th) - For students entering grades 7-8 in Fall 2019
$1450 - All inclusive of transportation between Rockland and Hurricane Island, housing, meals, snacks, and all programming. Financial aid available: http://www.hurricaneisland.net/financial-aid
This week-long youth nature art camp is packed with experiential learning adventures along Hurricane Island’s breathtaking coastline, beaches, and trails. Challenge your mind as you explore, think, observe, and ask questions like a trained naturalist and become familiar with a variety of ways to express yourself artistically.
- Play with perception and how we see things in our surroundings
- Learn techniques to draw from the world around you and from Hurricane’s nature collections of animals and plants.
- Explore scientific illustration and keep a naturalist notebook
- Create natural dyes, fish prints, and algae and plant presses
- Collaborate with guest artists and other students as you develop your portfolio
Challenge your body by hiking, learning how to row in Penobscot Bay, and learning how to rock climb and rappel on the historic Hurricane Island quarry rock face. Relax in the evening with a pick-up soccer game, sunset hike, a swim off our main pier, or some late-night stargazing.